We are now seeking expressions of interest to present a Breakout Session at our 2019 conference - Listen to the Spirit and Sing! The 4th national conference for the Australian Pastoral Musicians Network (APMN) will be held in Melbourne at the Australian Catholic University, October 1-3, 2019. More information is available on our website.
Here is a list of suggested topics; but other topics are also invited: please name your own Breakout Session title and focus in the Expression of Interest Form. The closing date has been extended to Friday 25 January, 2019.
In keeping with the aims of the APMN, Breakout Session Leaders will open ways to
“actively assist parishes, schools and other Church agencies to have educated, skilled musicians and composers available for the vital ministry of providing suitable quality music for worship, church life and religious education.”
There are three primary Breakout Session formats - Workshop, Masterclass, and Showcase.
A Workshop will generally have a strong practical music-making component that invites and supports participation by all attendees. All music used in a Workshop must speak to the context for which it is most suited and explain why (E.g. Mass, Adoration, Praise and Worship, Prayer Service, RE Classroom Catechetics, possible crossover points if any, etc). One composer’s work may be used to demonstrate a concept or theme in a Workshop but active promotion of works for sale is suited to a Showcase format and/or a booth in the Exhibitor Hall. Workshops that suggest music appropriate for the Catholic Mass must also refer to Sacrosanctum Concilium (Constitution on the Sacred Liturgy, 1963), Musicam Sacram (Instruction on Music in the Liturgy, 1967), and the General Instruction of the Roman Missal (2011).
A Masterclass will be led by an acknowledged music ministry professional in the instrument/area that is highlighted. It allows participants to engage in practical opportunities to upskill in a practical music area, as applied to music ministry (E.g. Choir Director, Psalmist, Composer, Cantor, Leader of Song, Guitarist, Organist, Pianist, Percussionist, etc). Places may be limited for some Masterclasses.
A Showcase provides an opportunity for a composer or commercial publisher to present a range of their works or products in an interactive format for commercial purposes and promotion. Preference will be given to presenters of Showcases who have purchased a sponsorship / booth in the Exhibitor Hall, as Showcase sessions are strictly limited. All music used in a Showcase must specify the context for which it is most suited and explain why (E.g. Mass, Adoration, Praise and Worship, Prayer Service, RE Classroom Catechetics, possible crossover points if any, etc). A Showcase that suggests music appropriate for the Catholic Mass must refer to the Constitution on the Sacred Liturgy, the Instruction on Music in the Liturgy, and the General Instruction of the Roman Missal.
For All Breakout Sessions:
- Sessions will run a maximum of 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Sessions will adhere to copyright law. Please see Guidelines: Copyright in Parish and School Liturgy, Version 2.1, produced by the Diocese of Wollongong.
- Sessions should make reference to the key Church documents on music:
- Leaders will be provided with IT Support, a projector / screen, a table for notes, a keyboard (if required), a simple sound set up, and two music stands. Leaders will provide all handouts, instruments other than keyboard, and other materials.
- Sessions will clearly delineate between music that is appropriate for different settings and purposes, as well as possible crossover points.
- Workshop and Masterclass Breakout Session Leaders will receive a voucher towards the cost of Conference registration for each Session they lead (one voucher is issued per Session: a Session with more than one presenter will only receive one voucher).
Thank you in advance for your consideration of this Request for Expression of Interest. All applications will be given respectful consideration for inclusion by the Conference sub-committee and applicants will be notified by the end of January 2019.
Please submit your workshop topic preference and proposal using the Expression of Interest Form by Friday, 25 January, 2019.
I look forward to your participation at our 4th national conference in Melbourne in October 2019.
Australian Pastoral Musicians Network
for and on behalf of the Conference sub-committee.